interaction design @ participantfinder
- Head of Product & Design
- Co-founder & CEO
I led the design and implementation of an enterprise research participant recruiting platform from ideation to launch. The goal of ParticipantFinder was to automate the complex job of selecting the right participants for a research study and make it easier for recruiters and researchers to track research projects and participants.
As I interviewed other researchers and participant recruiters about this, I discovered that there were few modern web enabled tools to manage participant databases and recruit participants, and that researchers used a combination of tools to accomplish this job. We conducted interviews with recruiters and researchers across multiple industries and company sizes to assess their current workflows and to better understand what tools they used to recruit research participants.
- There are many tools used in recruiting, from surveys to spreadsheets and databases
- Workflows are different from company to company, but the basics of participant recruiting are similar
- Selecting participants based on survey responses is time consuming and tedious
- Researchers want to focus on doing research rather than spending time working with multiple tools and the administrative tasks of participant recruiting, selection, and scheduling
- Participant recruiters want to be efficient when recruiting for studies so they can manage more projects simultaneously with fewer errors
- Participant recruiting platform that would remove the need for multiple tools and make coordinating research easier
- Auto-selection of participants based on screener criteria
- Auto-reminders to participants for upcoming sessions
Prototypes, Wireframes, & Visual Design
After sketching concepts and user flows, I built a Balsamiq wireframe and spec for concept testing through user research. I then created a prototype to communicate functionality to engineering and conduct evaluative research. Taking into account user feedback, I updated the interactions in the final design, further simplifying the interface and including the brand color palette and logo.
wireframes to designs: Participant scheduling
WIREFRAMES TO DESIGNS: managing participants
ParticipantFinder designs used familiar elements from current tools to make it easier to learn the new system, while bringing the different tools together into a simple to use workspace.